by definition gil.ly.flow.er n. 1. any of several old world plants cultivated for their brightly colored flowers. 2. Eurasian plant with pink to purple spice scented usually doubled flowers; widely cultivated in many varieties and many colors.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

something shady

It all begins as I am driving to school.
I spot a lonely light fixture just waiting to be rescued from the curb. 
It was baby blue and surprisingly heavy. 
 I had to have it. 
I got it home, gave it a fresh coat of paint and set my husband to the task of hanging it in the dining room. 
It sat for many months minus shades because my old fixture had only five. 


One night I knew that had to change, but only if I could use things from around the house to dress it up. 
I found six little shades, all different shapes, but oh well. 
I ripped them down to their frames and decided to raid my fabric and closet to do the rest.   


It was fast and painless. 
I cut the fabric.
Two of the the cuffs of sweaters, three of the parts of an old patterned shirt, and one made of burlap. 
I didn't want to spend too much time on them because who knows how long it will be before I start over. 
I used hot glue around the top and bottom of each shade to form a clean edge. 



This would also be a fun project to do as a family. 
Have each person in your family create their own shade by choosing their own fabric and personalizing it for a really charming chandelier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment